The Case for Christianity
The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ.
The resurrection of Jesus is at the heart of the Christian faith and is a belief every Christian should be able to give a defence for. The physical resurrection of Jesus has a wide ranging collection of facts supporting it’s historicity. The role of the Christian is to present such evidence in the face of opposition both internally and externally. There are a range of methods for defending the resurrection like the minimal facts argument (see argument to the right) since it uses data agreed by majority scholars Christian, agnostic and atheist. It is logically airtight and does well against alternative theories for the resurrection. But just because this argument uses data agreed by all scholars, that doesn’t make the Bible untrue, this is an “argument using sceptical data” so we can say to the non-Christian “Even without assuming an inerrant Bible, God raising Jesus from the dead is the best explanation”. For more on the reliability of the Bible, a broader case, see Trustworthiness of the Bible section.
A) There are five essential established Facts about Jesus:
- Jesus died by crucifixion
- The disciples belief in Jesus’ post-mortem appearances
- Paul’s belief in seeing the glorified Jesus
- James’ belief in Jesus’ post-mortem appearances
- The empty tomb
B) The hypothesis “God raised Jesus from the dead” is the best explanation of the facts
C) The hypothesis “God raised Jesus from the dead” entails that God exists
13 minutes and 2 animated videos to give you a broad overview on the powerful case for the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.
Video Crash course
Michael Jones of Inspiring Philosophy has made this incredible 6 video evidence based case for the resurrection. It’s rather essential watching to give you a more detailed broad scope on the evidence for the resurrection.
The resurrection is strongly attested in the academic world and many of the professors have come out in numbers with lectures and videos to help you be confident in, and defend your faith.
Jesus has often been compared to supposed dying and rising gods pre-Jesus. what do we make of these? I’ve got 15 below in a subsection.
As well as these, see the Christian vs debates in the final section (These are for someone whose read quite a lot on the resurrection prior and understand objections in advance).
Learn from the resurrection professor
should say before you get put off paying for a course, this course often discounts for free several times a year (Downloadable material for offline usage)
Gary Habermas, the world’s leading expert on the resurrection of Christ, has created an entire course just for you! There is no more important event in human history than the Resurrection of Christ. This event not only evidences God’s intervention and love into the human condition, it tells the world that Christ is Lord. The great thing about the resurrection of Christ is that it is not something God asks believers to accept with blind faith. This is an event that happened in human history with hundreds of historic details that people are called to examine to gain confidence in their faith in Christ. That is why this 30-session Credo Course is focused solely on the historicity of the resurrection of Christ. There is not a more important event for Christians to know inside and out. The historicity of the resurrection is sure to tame any skeptic (outside and within), causing us all to fall on our face and worship the one true Lord, Jesus Christ.
- The Importance of the Resurrection of Jesus
- A Priori Objections (Part 1)
- A Priori Objections (Part 2)
- Principles of Historiography Methodology: How Do We Use Historiography in Apologetics
- Approaching Scripture
- Minimal Facts Method
- Preaching before Completion of the New Testament
- Naturalistic Theories: Alternative Explanations for the Resurrection
- Naturalistic Theory 1: The Disciples Stole the Body
- Naturalistic Theory 2: Someone Else Stole the Body
- Naturalistic Theory 3: The Swoon Theory
- Naturalistic Theory 4: The Hallucination Theory
- Naturalistic Theory 5: The Copycat Theory
- Supernatural Alternative Theories
- Categorical Problems with Naturalistic Theories
- Understanding the Mind of a Skeptic
- Changing the Skeptical Mindset of the Naturalist (Part 1)
- Changing the Skeptical Mindset of the Naturalist (Part 2)
- Evidence for the Death of Jesus
- Evidence for the Appearances of Jesus
- Evidence for the Empty Tomb
- Constructing a Historical Timeline
- Apologetics: Building a Bridge from Miracles to Christianity
- Apologetics: Establishing a Connection between the Resurrection and the Existence of God
- Who Did Jesus Think He Was?
- Establishing the Deity of Christ
- Grounding Theology (Part 1)
- Grounding Theology (Part 2)
- Grounding Christian Practice: Application Based on the Resurrection
- The Resurrection of Jesus
A great starting point will be to kit yourself out with books. These, by their nature take you from start to finish for resurrection cases. Here’s some of my recommendations!
This large book is a small library for data on the resurrection as well as the New Testament
This is where you start if you want to make a logical defence of the resurrection
Are there contradictions in the resurrection accounts of the gospels? No, this book tells you why
This book looks at the resurrection, God’s existence and the future hope we have The
A massive book on the origins of the resurrection: Is it genuine? or was it an idea stolen from others?
The title says it all really…
Using just the historical and scholarly data, Licona makes an extensive scholarly case for the resurrection
A journalist goes around interviewing the top scholars with his questions. as a result, he becomes a Christian
A man sets out to disprove the resurrection and writing a book about it, however, he ends up writing a book for the evidence of the resurrection